Choosing a pet that is most suitable for you and your family can be a very difficult decision. Taking into consideration the average lifespan of a pet can range from 2 to 15 years, they will inevitably become part of your family. However, once you’ve made your decision and finally bring your new pet home it will be one of the most exciting days of your life.
There are many factors that must be considered before you invite an animal into your home, it is important to think about the consequences of owning a pet and the responsibilities involved including:
- What type of pet do you want? A cat, dog, fish, reptile, bird or small animal? What are you capable of looking after? Do they fit into your lifestyle?
- How much time do you and your family have to spend with a pet? Daily exercise, grooming, play and training, do you have the time to care for your pet?
- How much money can you afford each year on general healthcare, vet bills, food, vaccinations, training, grooming and boarding?
- Do you work? Will your pet have company during the day?
- How much space do you have available for the animal you are considering? If you rent are you permitted to own a pet?
- If you have children, what pet will be most suitable for them?
- Also take into account access to a local vet and whether or not you or anyone in your family may have allergies to certain animals.
To help your decision on what animal is best suited to you and your family, ask us a question.